Applying for a reaffirmation of
Civil Union License

Updated 2007-04-20

Requirements for entering into a Civil Union

For two people to establish a Reaffirmation of Civil Union in New Jersey, they must be able to provide proof, in the form of a certified copy, that they are currently registered in a civil union in this state or a civil union/same-sex marriage in another state and meet the requirements of the New Jersey Civil Union Act.

The Reaffirmation of Civil Union License requires that the reaffirmation be between the same two partners who entered into the original civil union/same-sex marriage.

In addition, both applicants must be at least 18 years of age, except that applicants under 18 may enter into a Reaffirmation of Civil Union with parental consent.  Applicants under age 16 must obtain parental consent and have the consent approved in writing by any judge of the Superior Court, Chancery Division, Family Part.  If the civil union partners entered into their original civil union in  New Jersey, they need not re-obtain parental or judicial consent.

Where to apply

1. You may apply for the Reaffirmation of Civil Union License in the New Jersey municipality in which either person resides.  The license is valid throughout the state.

2. If neither applicant resides in New Jersey, submit the application in the municipality where the Reaffirmation of Civil Union ceremony will be performed.  The license is only valid in the issuing municipality.

What you should bring with you when you apply for a reaffirmation of civil union license

1. Your proof of the original civil union to the same partner.

2. A copy of your birth certificate, driver's license, passport or state I.D.

3. Proof of your residency.

4. Your social security card or social security number.*

5. A witness who is 18 years of age or older.

6. The $28 application fee.

*Your social security number is required by law and will be kept confidential.

Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.

After you apply

There is no waiting period for a Reaffirmation of Civil Union License therefore the license can be issued immediately.




Weehawken Town Hall
Office of the Township Clerk (2nd Floor)
400 Park Avenue
Monday - Friday, 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Township Clerk - Rola Dahboul